Monday, July 22, 2013

Turning it Around


I've never denied that I have a short fuse. I always have.

Source: Rants from Mommyland
I was going to write a post about how I lost my shit in the car on the drive down to my house on Saturday but then I realized that all parents do that. Autism families and normal families alike - we all have our breaking points.

This is not to say that we didn't turn our day around and had an awesome day at the beach. I even had enough time to make them dinner at home instead of going through the Wendy's drive-thru. (And by make I mean baked chicken nuggets, instant mashed potatoes and pizza from the local pizza shop that I reheated).

The kids were playing and having fun. There were no melt downs at my house except for the usual sibling rivalry issues.

Silly was being, well, Silly and playing on the computer and laughing. He was all hugs and cuddles.

Bug was calmly watching videos on-line with Princess....they even set-up the lap top on the dining room table to share along with Monkey and Baby Girl while they ate dinner.

Monkey and Baby Girl were playing with their Angry Birds figurines crashing towers and forts while Green Pigs rolled all over the floor.

Buddy even relaxed himself enough to create this...

 (He's associating the drive through the islands into his play time by creating "bridges" for his train)

The drive back to their dad was a bit better. There was some fighting and diva flip outs but well within the normal range. And yes, I'm including myself in those diva flip outs.

The important thing is that we found a middle ground and the kids enjoyed their day.

There are going to be moments where we all snap - its normal, we're human. They are overwhelmed during a 2.5 hour drive, in a car, with all kinds of overstimulation. I can't expect every drive to be a perfect one. I would be delusional if I did.

Their happiness is the most important thing and working hard to achieve that together as a family is what we have to do together right?

These look like happy littles right?




2 comments:

  1. Awwww! Love those little, happy, smiling faces! They definitely look like they're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like VERY happy littles.
    I lose my shit approximately EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. But, we always find a way to make things right and find the good, even during the most challenging days. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, leave a message, leave me something!! I'm needy!!! Please make sure though that however you comment that I can reply back to you via email...otherwise you'll have to come and visit again for your reply :-)